Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Going Black


You might be wondering why my blog is/has-gone black. There's a reason behind this. No, black-is-sexy is not it. Read on.

A few months ago, Mark Ontkush wrote a post titled 'Black Google Would Save 750 Megawatt-hours a Year' on his blog EcoIron .

The post gives the following argument: “An all white web page uses about 74 watts to display, while an all black page uses only 59 watts.” Google, which has a white background and gets about “200 million queries a day” could reduce global energy usage by 750 Megawatt-hours a year by simply changing the color of its homepage to black.

In response to this post a black version of Google called Blackle.com emerged.

According to Blackle.com (at the time this post was written), 614,653.551 Watt hours have been saved. The site encourages users to make a difference today by 'blackling'.

Nice idea I thought. And hence my blog turned black. India isn't able to fully meet its energy requirements and I'm doing my bit here. Ofcourse, my blog doesn't get 200 million hits a day - I confess that I'm not sure if it'll remain black forever. Perhaps I'll just wait for my next color-mood-swing :).

7 comments:

Rhythmn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rhythmn said...

interesting...

Swati sinha said...

Good one..!:-)

Nimisha said...

I did give Blackle a shot...only google's a lot cooler.

And sometimes, just turning off the bathroom lights around us helps. :)

amiyawilliams said...

I am amazed to see such an amazing post. Keep up the good work.mba in punjab

Manoj Vyas said...

great post, i really like it.
business school | management courses | top b school

ashka said...

good one:)
management course